By Small and Simple Things - July 25, 2017
Family and friends!
By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.
This last week has been a good one full of knocking on many of doors. We didn't have very many appointments and Ryan who is on date was not able to meet with us last week. We did communicate with him on the phone and he sounded like he was trying to drop us... But we are not quite sure. So we went over to the Bass family who he lives with and set up Another appointment to have family home evening tonight with them and we pray that Ryan will be there.
On Tuesday we did Service at the garden next to our church. We peeled garlic! It was so much fun. I definitely want to have my own garden someday but I don't know if things would grow as good as they do here in Oregon. Also the beans we planted a few weeks ago are growing so tall. When Sister Datwyler and I planted them we sang "Faith is like a little seed. " it is so fun doing service.
We also stared our Book Club on the Book of Mormon this week! It was such a good turn out we combined with the 1st and 4th Ward Elders and have invited many less actives or recent converts to come join us. We had quite a few members come and we hope for more each week!
On Wednesday we met with Ed again. I just have such great faith that he will come to the gospel it is just a matter of time for sure. Well we walked in and sat down and he looked directly at me and said "I need to tell you something because you said something that really just got me."
I was so scared I was trying to remember everything I had said and also in my talk last Sunday when he was there. What did I say wrong?!
He continued to tell me that last time we were having our lesson in his home. I really touched his heart when I Bore my testimony. And yes I cried when I was trying to tell him my testimony. He told me that when you touch a Lakota tribe member they return their thanks in a gift. Now Ed is one of the most craftiness men I know. He makes rings and blankets. He makes his own leather jackets. He believes a gift that is made by hand becomes more valuable than any gift you could ever buy. So he had made me a ring from a Utah quarter because he remembered I'm from Utah. It was so sweet but it wasn't me who touched his heart it was the Holy Ghost for sure. Later in that lesson Ed expressed his frustration with missionaries moving around all the time and he feels like he has to start over with each pair of sister. Right then the Lewis who are the ward missionaries jumped in and promised Ed they would be by his side always and also talk to the sisters that come into the area so he doesn't feel like he has to start over. What a relief that was to him as a weight was lifted off his shoulders. And when we told him we are here for 6 more weeks he was excited.
Another neat experience was with Judy. She was given a Book of Mormon from her neighbor before she moved. The sisters ran into her and we stop by and see if she's read it but sadly she hasn't. She told us how she is not interested in learning more. But then the conversations turned to families and she started telling us about the house she grew up in and how her grandfather built it. She then started telling us about the Journey her Grandfather made to come to Oregon and invited us to come in and see the pictures. As we were looking through the pictures of the trip. I saw the Salt Lake temple from 1915 when her family had come to Oregon she printed a picture for Sister Datwyler and I to have. We also talked a lot about family History and she wants to come find her family. If one way doesn't work find the door that will. I hope she will see the importance of family and am so excited for her to learn more.
Although it has been a long week of finding I'm so grateful for the many small blessings I am able to witness each day.
One last thought yesterday in Gospel Principles we were talking about the creation and a sweet lady Becki has many questions each week and she didn't understand why we needed to know about the creation until the End when we started talking about the Priesthood. It clicked in my mind as well that Christ created the Earth with the Priesthood it was directed from Heavenly Father.
Often I think we forget how powerful and amazing the Priesthood truly is.
I love you all and hope you are looking for the small ways you too can be a missionary. A member missionary by the way you live and even bearing your testimony with your family
LOVE
SISTER LEAVITT
Mom!
What a fun time you are all having at the cabin. Lots of great activities going on.
Hopefully you have read my other email Because I wanted to share just a little bit more about Ed. It meant a lot to me and I felt it was better to share it more personally then to everyone. He likes to write poems you could say or little quotes he comes up with when he feels inspired. And this is what he wrote after I Bore my testimony to him.
"Your tears are silent words your heart can not say."
I just thought that you would enjoy that quote also because you know us two are the ones that tear up in the family.
-Are you staying warm and acclimating to the weather yet?
It is so hot during the day times here in Corvallis and then it gets pretty cold at night. So it's a toss up. The other day it was 97 when we were knocking on doors and that was hot. But it's been okay I just know the rainy days will be back in a month or so. Just enjoying the sun while we have it
-Do you get member meals?
Yeah most days we do. We made the soup you sent us this week when we didn't have a meal so thank you for sending that
-Have you had a district meeting with your new president yet?
We met him once but we will have zone conference this next month.
I love the pictures you send me they are my favorite!
I love you so much mom and I am grateful for all you have done for me in helping me get where I am today.
How has sour scripture reading been going? Have you learned anything new recently? Were you able to have family home evening this week?
I love you!
Love
Sister Leavitt








Comments
Post a Comment