She's a TreeHugger on the Right Track! June 26, 2017

Family and friends!
Wednesday started out going to a small village north of Corvallis called Adair. We tracked one street for a while, maybe 45 minutes without much positive response. We turn the corner and begin talking with a few people. None were interested, but they were good conversations that we left feeling positive about. As we walk back to our car we spy a man outside washing his car. We stop and start talking to him! It turns out he is fairly familiar with the missionaries, he lived by members in Portland who housed missionaries. Sadly, when we asked if he had received a Book of Mormon, he replied, "No, I've never seen one!" You can imagine we corrected that pretty quickly!! We handed him the one in our bag and as we walked away he called out saying, "I am going to read this book!" What a miracle to start the day! It's crazy to think You could live by members for a long time and missionaries in that fact and
Never been invited to read the Book of Mormon. It a great reminder to each of
us to not be afraid to share the gospel they may just be waiting to find it.
Next miracle that happened: some of you may be familiar with our friend Ed. We had a lesson this week with him, and it turned out amazing! The week previous we had talked with him about his opinions on baptism, since sisters had taught him before. This week we could see that the spirit had been slowly working on him, teaching him and guiding him to the places he needed to search. He came to us with questions about the way he was baptized, about how he felt he wasn't baptized into a church for membership, but that he was baptized to God, or the Creator. We can see his concerns and hold-ups coming to the surface, and so we have been studying up on the priesthood and the Gift of the Holy Ghost! We feel he has received his answer, there are just a few obstacles that need to be treated. He is much closer to baptism than he thinks he is! Next is a somewhat sad/crazy story. Satan is definitely trying his
best to destroy the family. we went to a less-actives member house and begin our lesson. The mom soon starts talking about same-sex
attraction and how those people should be entitled to the same blessings she and her family have. We could understand where she was coming from, but we also know that families and marriage have been ordained of God. We also know that every son and daughter of God are entitled to the same blessings within the gospel of Jesus Christ. She has seen her family members be so happy in the way they live and wishes they could have the same blessings we are able to have with the gosoel. Unfortunately she was adamant in her stance and we couldn't change it. Throughout the lesson she mentioned multiple times that if her children came out to her as gay that it wouldn't change anything within their family. She may have said it one to many times, her 11-year-old daughter stopped and said "sense we are on this topic. I know I'm young, but I feel I'm bi." How sad it is to see the adversary attacking the family unit so strongly in this day.

We had exchanges with the Chinese sisters this week and sister Chen and I were companions it was difficult because she still struggles with English but it was way fun. We walked around the Beaver campus and talked to as many people as we could it was so much fun! I think sister Chen and I found 4 new investigators so I really hope that helps them keep appointments on their schedule. It's was fun to see the campus too.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Love Sister Leavitt




Last Weekly Email from President and Sister Russell:
Our Dearest Beloved Missionaries, Families, and Friends of the OEM,

It is with mixed emotions that I write this last email.  After 3 years and almost 154 emails one would think I would rejoice in not sending a weekly email.  That couldn’t be further from the truth.  You see every fiber of my being has been given to the Lord and you my beloved missionaries.  Being a human being and fraught with frailties  I have sought to share those things which were needful and that would uplift and even sometimes as needed, correct. So with this final email  I will not seek to change that pattern.  Now for some matters of love and concern:

·        Please make sure and send your weekly email this week.  I may not respond, due to time constraints. I will of course read them. I will look forward to it.  Thereafter, your letters, beginning on July 3rd will be read by President Orton.

·        As President and Sister Orton enter the mission I trust you will embrace them and love them as you have Sister Russell and I.  I know they come forth with excitement, much anxiousness, and love for you.  We have spoken many times and they will come forth ready to work.  I know they have been working hard to prepare.  They are coming with much study, prayer, and love for you.  I rejoice that the gospel is the gospel of love.  What other way would we want it to be? We should all be filled with love for each other, having true charity for all.

·        The Lord has been blessing us as a mission.  We have had steady baptisms each week from 6-12 for many weeks. This past weekend we had 11. Great Work.  We should all rejoice and thank our Heavenly Father for the great honor it is to help, just a little, being instruments in His hands with this work. Let us, therefore, press forward and keep laboring with all our might, for this is the time of the hastening.

·        Let us all Endure With Fire!

·        Let us always be thoughtful and kind to our companions (remember if something is bothering you they may be bothered as well.),  as you learn how to do this, you are being prepared and learning how to become a righteous wife our husband.  Always include your Heavenly Father in the work and be prayerful together. 

·        Please wear sunscreen when you are out and about.  Take care of yourselves.  Please drink extra water now that the hotter weather is here.  Also if need be, wear a hat (those approved on the missionary portal – don’t assume) to protect your skin.  Oh be wise.

Now for the heart of my email:

As I close this email I have in mind and heart to leave you with a promise and a blessing:  First a promise from an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ – “I promise that because of your faithful response to the call to spread the gospel, He will bind up your broken hearts, dry your tears and set you and your families free.  That is my missionary promise to you and your mission message to the world.”  Jeffrey R. Holland.

Now for a blessing.  I desire to leave with you my final blessing as your mission president – As I do so I pray you will know this comes from within my heart, filled with love for you, and according to the will of God,  as I am moved upon by the Holy Ghost.  I bless you that you will come to recognize how much your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you.  That they are real beings with bodies of flesh and bone.  That you might realize and always remember that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and as we embrace that glorious gift; you and I, all of our posterity, families and every soul on earth can return and live with our Heavenly Father again.  I bless you to find peace and understanding.  These are two of the greatest blessings we might enjoy.  I bless you with these, as the Father sees fit to bestow them upon you and with an understanding in your young lives that both of these will and can come throughout your lives, not just in the mission.  I bless you with a desire to be diligent and give your will to the Son and the Father.  Remember that is all we have to give, because, that is all that is really ours.  I bless you with firm understanding that you are part of the greatest work on earth – that is, to do our part, as instruments to help “bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” and to keep his commandments.  I bless you to really internalize how much Sister Russell and I love you.  Let us now go forth in this great cause and may you know, we know, Jesus is the Christ and as it is written in the 3rd verse of my favorite hymn (High on a Mountain Top) “We’ll now go up and serve the Lord,…” Join with us and work to that end. Let the love of this work and Our Savior be written in our hearts and shine forth through our good works, and our lives.  In the name of our Lord and King Jesus Christ. Amen.

BE YE FISHERS OF MEN!

With Profound Love and Auf Widersehen – (until we meet again in German.)
President and Sister Russell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CALL TO DUTY!

Blow The Door Off- March 15, 2018

Zone conference! Sept 19, 2017