Hope In New Adventures- February 12, 2018


Family and Friends!

So I'll be honest this week was a bit slower because Sister McArthur has been sick.  So I was a bit locked up inside.  But even upon being locked up I felt I didn't have enough time to study.  I would read from the Bible, then the Book of Mormon, then I would pick a topic to study, then write my talk, then read a Conference talk.  It's crazy even you feel you have all the time in the world it passes by so fast. 

Anyways as you know I am being transferred to Beacon Hill which is in the Grant's Pass zone.  I was Called to be a Sister Training leader which mean I will be planning exchanges with the Sisters in my Zone and helping them out.  My new companion is Sister Mouser!!!! We roomed together in the MTC.  I am so excited to see her again because I haven't seen her in the mission yet.

However I am really going to miss this place.  Cottage Grove has my heart.  It was such a privilege to be able to speak to the Ward one last time before I had to go.  I spoke on having a perfect Brightness of Hope. I'll share a little bit of what I learned.

The scripture I spoke on was 2 Nephi 21:20

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.  wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father; Ye shall have eternal life."

Today I would like to speak to you about Having a Perfect brightness of hope.
But what does that mean?
I looked up the word perfect which means Complete, whole, and fully developed
Then I looked up the word hope
According to the True to the Faith booklet hope is commonly misunderstood in our everyday language.
You will often hear people say I hope the weather will change or I hope I can visit a friend today.  The word often has a hint of uncertainty in it.  It expresses a desire but its not very promising that it will happen.
But hope in the language of the gospel, however, is sure, unwatering and active.
Hope is an abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill his promises to you.  That is something that we can be sure of.  We know the Lord keeps his promises when we do what he asks. 

As I studied this scripture I wondered if it was even possible to have a perfect Brightness of hope.  My answer came from reading 1 Nephi 3:7.  It's a commandment to have a perfect Brightness of HOpe and God never gives a commandment we can not keep.  so yes, it is possible for us to have that Hope and it's through the Saviors atonement we reach it.



Sister Leavitt, Brittney, Sister McArthur


And Brittany we met with her at the church this week and taught her the first half of the plan of salvation.  She just eats up the gospel taking notes while we speak and asking tons of questions!  It's so much fun when you see investigators jumping out of their seat in joy of reading a scripture. She was out of her chair saying "I knew it!  I knew that's what life was about!"

After the lesson we showed her around the church building then as we went into the chapel we sat down and just talked for a while.  The spirit was so strong.  Brittany gets really anxious in the church's from her past experiences but she said she had never felt so much peace inside a building  Oh how much more shes going to love the temple!

Brittany came to church on Sunday and then last night we met at the church again and made brownies and watched the Joseph Smith movie.  She is one of our best friends and opened up with us about the opposition from her mom and her meeting with us.  But as we watched the Joseph Smith movie she kept saying "that's how I felt!  I didn't know what church to join and then I found this church!"

Then Paula.  We weren't able to meet with her this week because she is super sick.  So I called and told her goodbye and she was so sweet.  She said "Now you don't forget about the 24th young lady."  That's the day for her baptism and although I won't get to go I might be able to Skype in and talk with her for a moment before she gets baptized.

Mike!  We taught him the restoration this week.  And he has been reading a ton from the Book of Mormon.  He is a country man.  Makes his own beer which he showed us how it's done.  haha  But he is super amazing.  I made him take a picture with me in case I was leaving.
Sister Leavitt with the Bastings Family


As you can see it's not going to be easy to leave Cottage Grove.  My Ward mission leader teared up saying goodbye yesterday.  Everyone is so good to me and I'm going to miss them a lot.

The Basting and Robinson kids kept hugging me at church telling me not to leave them.

Missionaries always ask "Where is your waters of Mormon?" and Cottage Grove may bave been that place for me.

Thank you for all your help in encouraging me to come on a mission.  It is the biggest blessing in my life.  I love being a missionary nothing makes me. More happy then sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I LOVE YOU ALL!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

Love
Sister Leavitt



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CALL TO DUTY!

Blow The Door Off- March 15, 2018

Zone conference! Sept 19, 2017