Follow the Spirit- April 24, 2018

Sister Mousser, Sister Wood (goes home this transfer), Sister Hung (goes home this transfer), me 
Dear Family and Friends! 


       I usually try and end with a spiritual thought but I think I will begin with one because then you will see how it helped me throughout this week. 

President Lorenzo Snow said “This is the grand privilege of every Latter-day Saint … that it is our right to have the manifestations of the Spirit every day of our lives.”

During General Conference President Nelson spoke on how to receive revelation for the church and our own lives. I believe there will be a day when the things of the world will fail us and all we will have is the the signal of the spirit. I believe that the General Authorities of the church spoke on understanding the spirit because at this time more than ever have we needed to understand what the Lord wants us to do. I know it will bring protection into our lives. So many of you like myself may at times have asked, "Is that my own thought or the spirit?" 

This week we met with Nick. He has many decisions to make and different paths he can go down. We spoke alot on looking ahead and seeing what the end result might be to come of the choices we make now. What a wonderful experience as we and the members there were able to help him see the great choices God is placing in his life. 

Tom, he hasn't come to all 3 hours of church in a long time. As we planned for his lesson Sister Mousser and I had 3 main ideas we wanted to share with him. But they didn't really seem to connect or go together. Still unsure how we were going to teach them we went and taught Tom about the Doctrine and Conveants and then read from section 20 about priesthood duties. The spirit spoke to him as he said "I get it! I need to go to church for all 3 hours." I looked at him and said "Tom you realize that we didn't say anything about coming to church, all we were talking about is the priesthood duties and that was the spirit speaking to you on what you need to do." The spirit was so strong and as our member Sabrina shared her feeling and expressed how much of an impact he will have on others around him I know he knew as well what to do. 

As we were driving down the road on Wednesday, we saw the Van Valkenburgs outside cleaning. Sister Mousser and I both looked at each other and debated about going back and stopping to see if they need help. So after a few minutes we did. They said they were just finishing up for the day working outside but come to find out Brother Van Valkenburgs father had passed away that morning. It had been really hard on him and his family. They invited us in and we sat and talked for a little bit. Brother Van Valkenburg has been sick all week and the family is super overwhelmed trying to get the house ready so they can move. We were able to all sit together and talk about the beautiful peace the Plan of Salvation brings into our lives. It's moments such as this where the gospel becomes so real. Before we left they accepted our offer to come the next day and do service. 
11 month mark for Sister Mousser and I 

Sister Mousser and I had a blast cleaning the back yard. We moved hay bails in the trailer and we felt like we could both be farm girls one day. Sometimes it just feels so good to get down and dirty and help by doing service! 

On Thursday, we were out and about but needed to do some planning for the week. Before we headed to our apartment Sister Mousser asked me if there was anyone we should stop by and visit. I had one person come to my mind, Hailey. Who lives on the opposite side of our area. Sister Mousser met Hailey about 2 transfers ago and I have only talked with her once. We have been by her house so many times and she is never home. The last time we talked which was about a month ago she told us the date she was going to have her baby which should be the next upcoming week. So we go over and Hailey just got home from the hospital a few hours before. She welcomed us right in and let us see her cute baby boy. Rodrigo her husband who is a member expressed how once things get settled in they want to bring their family to church! 

We had a lesson with Riley this week as well and finished teaching him the Plan of Salvation! We showed him temples and talked about how important they are. And that he can be married to Amy for eternity! I absolutely love teaching about temples. The moment you show somebody the temple is such a spiritual experience. The amazement and desire is so strong. 

This week we had interviews with President and Sister Orton! I love them so much! They took us out to get phosphates (soda drink) afterwards and it was a blast! 

The Corvallis fam! Me, Sister Hong, Elder Henley, Elder Westover

Yesterday was Zone Conference and the Zone Leaders and us (Sister training leaders) taught on how to help investigators who are coming to church accept a baptism date. I talked on the importance of members. I have really come to learn that being here in the Beacon Hill ward. The memebers are always willing to help us out and always know who we are working with. The love to share the gospel and that helps make things so much smoother and less stressful at church for us missionaries. 

This week I got a message on Facebook form a lady named Tracy I worked with in Cottage Grove. She is going to be baptized!!! I am so excited for her and am greatful for her decision. What a blessing for me to be able to see that!

So the moral of my story from this week is to Never Postpone a Prompting. If you are not sure if the thought is your own or from the spirit ask yourself "Is it good? Will the result be good?" And if the answer is yes, then you know every good thing comes form God. 

President Nelson said "Record your feelings and follow through with actions that you are prompted to take. As you repeat this process day after day, month after month, year after year, you will “grow into the principle of revelation.”

I promise as you do so that you will be able to understand how the Holy Ghost speaks to you. I love you all and am greatful for the influence you each have had on me. 
Love 
Sister Leavitt

Sister*,Sister Castendea, Sister*,Sister*,Sister Leavitt,
Sister Mousser, Sister Francis
My studies for the week: I have been studying alot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. President Orton asked us each to ask ourselves while watching General Conference "how can I become a better missionary through the atonement of Jesus Christ?" And then write a 7 min talk on it. 
So I spent study time thinking about that. The talk I studied was "Behold the Man" and as I thought about this question it made me think that to Become a Better Missionary we need to access the Atonement ourselves daily. 

Here is a bit from the talk I prepared. 

As a missionary we must learn how to access the power of the Atonement. As we do, it will carry us! As missionaries we see those we love grow and progress, we see their trials, we see their pain, and we feel the hurt when they have come so far to reject the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We need to teach them the Atonement and that though we feel alone someone much greater is standing by our side. 

The atonement is the most powerful influential thing we teach here on our missions. For me it can be the hardest to teach. My words can never convey the way I truly feel about this miraculous event my Savior has done for me. When I teach about the Atonement, I sincerly pray that they through the words i say, that the spirit will testify to their heart of what truly happened in that night so long ago. 

I want to share a quote from President Uchdorf


"Those who find a way to truly behold the Man find the doorway to life’s greatest joys and the balm to life’s most demanding despairs.

So, when you are encompassed by sorrows and grief, behold the Man.

When you feel lost or forgotten, behold the Man.

When you are despairing, deserted, doubting, damaged, or defeated, behold the Man.

He will comfort you.

He will heal you and give meaning to your journey. He will pour out His Spirit and fill your heart with exceeding joy.

He gives “power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.”

When we truly behold the Man, we learn of Him and seek to align our lives with Him. We repent and strive to refine our natures and daily grow a little closer to Him. We trust Him. We show our love for Him by keeping His commandments and by living up to our sacred covenants."
Sister Francis, Sister *, Sister Casteneda, Sister Leavitt

Sister Leavitt, Sister Mousser, Sister Francis


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CALL TO DUTY!

Blow The Door Off- March 15, 2018

Zone conference! Sept 19, 2017