Follow the Spirit- July 23, 2018

Sister Dalton and I


Family and Friends!
The weeks just seem to be getting faster and faster. This last week has been a busy one. Monday was our Zone preparation day. We all went to the beach and played some football. It was a foggy day but I always love just seeing the ocean. We had a fun time playing games at the church after and Sister Sheer made us all homemade pizza. It was a blast!

On Tuesday we had exchanges with the Bookings sisters. (Sister Clark and Hamilton.) Sister Hamilton and I spent the first part of the day together. We went and did service at a thrift store where we sorted through lots of clothes. We went back and had lunch and companionship study. It was good to sit down with her and talk about differnet things she can do in missionary work. We went through their area book and talked about the people she is working with. When we went tracting she did amazing. Jumped right in and joined the conversations and shared scriptures. I love when brand new missionaries get so excited about the work! 

After dinner we switched and I went with Sister Clark tracting. She is from Saint George and goes home in a week. We went so hard and knocked lots of doors together we met some crazy people defintily on some type of drug. Haha I really enjoyed getting to know Sister Clark better. She is a very consecrated missionary and as she exspressed what she learned from her mission I was very touched. 

On Wednesday we had Zone Conference. So we were up early to drive to Roseburg. This zone conference was all focused on becoming a preach my gospel missionary. Presidnt asked how PMG has helped us. As I reflected on my mission, preach my gospel has helped me to truly understand the spirit. I remember wondering if I would ever be able to understand the spirit in a moment. I felt I could look back at moments and see that the spirit was there. But now, I can truly feel the spirit when he is there. And that I am so greatful for. 
Coos Bay Sisters and North Bend Sisters 

Sister Orton spoke on "your thoughts are not my thoughts." This has really helped me looking back at this transfer. Alot of this transfer I have realized that God had a different path for me to learn from than I had thought. I had one idea of how this transfer would go but I have realized that I was sent here to help the missionaries in this area. Sometimes it can be very difficult making sure all the other sisters are doing well but in the end I learn from their experiences as well. It has been a huge blessing to be able to serve with so many sisters. 

Some other things that have happened this week is Shannon and Jorge found out that they are having a baby boy and a baby girl! Best of both worlds!
Jorge is studying hard core on the Book of Mormon. He sent us a list of his questions as he has been reading. I had such a fun time spending my studies going through them all. 

We had a bit of a hard time figuring out what to do to help Fernanda. She had a date to be baptized this upcoming week but because of summer vacations we were worried because she wouldn't be coming to church for a few weeks after her baptism. So after much fasting and prayer we received the answer to move the date until after she gets back. This was such a hard decision on my companion as she has been teaching Fernanda for the past 6 months and won't be able to see the baptism. Fernanda took it really well when we told her and she understood why. We talked about how Covenants are binding and how important this is. I believe it helped her to understand more fully and have a deeper drive to come to church and read more in the Book of Mormon. 

 
On Friday night we got a text from Audra a lady Sister Dalton and Sheer found on exchanges. We thought she was going to cancel on us but instead she invited us to diner! So Saturday we went over and had dinner. We found out that her best friend is a Mormon. And she spent 2 weeks with her where they helped out with transfers with missionaries and she asked them lots of questions about what they did. So she had told us at diner that she wasn't looking to join but was wondering if we could tell her about our religion and learn more. So after diner we taught her the restoration and she accepted alot of it. She was excited to take a Book of Mormon and read it. We taught her how to pray which she teared up because she hasn't prayed since her mother past away. It was such a blessing to be able to share a little bit of the plan of salvation as well. 
Shannon and Jorge it's a boy and a girl!



Hey Mom!
More pictures 
1. Elder Thomas he asked what my mom's name was
Him: oh makayla! Take a picture of me and send it to her. Tell her we are homies. Hahaha he is such a funny elder. How could I not send it to you after that 😂
I am doing pretty well...a bit worn out from this past week but it has been a learning exspirence. The coast is amazing we went for a hike today and that was nice to be outside and in the fresh air. It was relaxing to be in the nature. Oregon is stunning. 

The humidity hasn't been bad because it's cool here on the coast but I'm thankful I'm not anywhere else or it would be hot!

Thanks for checking on the Hansens. I did get an email from Austin he said that they are still cleaning it up but they are all okay. 

I got your package thanks so much I love it! When sister Dalton and I eat hi chew I make her read it to me and stick the scripture on a paper. It has been super fun! Thanks so much! 

Yes everything is status-quo on the lump. I have my doctors appointment in 2 weeks. I check every once in a while and make sure it's not getting bigger 

My companion and I are having good lessons but it's been a really difficult transfer. We have 3 people working towards baptism so that's great. But as I mentioned in my group email (please don't share this) about Fernandas baptism postponed it has been really hard. A point of contention within my companionship. I was very unsettled and wasn't sure if Fernanda was ready to be baptized as she has only come to church 1 time the last 5 weeks but part of the reason she doesn't come is because her less active mom doesn't bring her. So we feel like her mom is kinda holding her back. Well my companion was very set on the date and one night I tried to talk to her about how I felt and she got very upset at me and stormed to bed.....so in that moment I knelt down and started a fast. I knew that if Fernandas baptism needed to be postponed I would need the extra strength to 1. Talk to my companion and 2. Telling Fernanda. The next morning as we were studying I read the requirements for baptism and the spirit hit me so strong. I said out loud. "Fernanda can't get baptized." I looked over at sister Dalton and she broke down crying. She yelled at me "well I'm not telling her! You can tell her she can't but I won't do it!"
Wow....i never felt so alone. After she got out all her feelings about how she feels the work she has done is a waist and how she wants to see Fernanda be baptized so badly but knows she is leaving this next transfer it broke her heart. 

So I then talked to her about how I was feeling and told her that I needed us to be unified and making this decision together. So we prayed together and read scriptures and I was so greatful that the spirit allowed her heart to be softened and see what I was seeing. I was greatful for the strength and courage God gave me that day. So when we told Fernanda she understood the importance of coming to church. (Sadly they didn't show yesterday so I pray everything is okay and that they weren't offended) but if anything I am greatful to know that the spirit testified of what we needed to do and so I know we made the right decision. 

Another thing that has been hard is others sisters not getting along. On Wednesday night we had to sit a set of sisters down and the conversation didn't end until 1:30am. Again greatful for the spirits guidance. I had no idea how this was going to go and alot of tears were shed. But after the long night one of the sisters said "do you feel the spirit that is here right now? We have not had this feeling in our home for weeks." The other sister was unsure if the spirit was there and so I pulled out my scriptures and read Galations about the fruit of the spirit. Every single fruit that was listed was felt in that room that night. And we were all able to identify it. This exspirence became a sacred moment to me. I was greatful for the things I learned from it. Like the importance of communication. Still working on that one but I feel I am improving. And how the spirit is so necessary. Also to put away pride and allow yourself to learn from others. 

When sister Orton gave her seagemnt about how "His thoughts are higher than our thoughts" man is that true. This whole transfer i have wondered why I am here. The work is going but not at the pace I would like. But the Lord knows what is truly important and where I needed to be. I came to Coos Bay this transfer to do a different kind of work. It's been a huge learning exspirence. 

My apartment is fine kinda old but it's good. Two stories. Small kitchen and when there are 6 sisters staying there it is always fun. 

I'm glad to hear that chase is doing better. I pray for him that must have been pretty hard. 
Ok and cutest pictures with Rue she seems like such a good girl! 

Way to keep pressing on through your hard days. I pray for you. You are such an example to me and I love you alot mom! 


It's been a very spirit led week. I'm greatful for the gift of the Holy Ghost in my life. I'm greatful that we are a church that believes in Revelation. We are always moving forward and up. I'm greatful that we are led by a living prophet and that we can receive the counsel and guidance we need each day. I love the spirit I feel while being a missionary. 
I love you all!
Love 
Sister Leavitt 

Call me a stalker found the house he grew up in :)

Yep! Steve Prefontaine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CALL TO DUTY!

Blow The Door Off- March 15, 2018

Zone conference! Sept 19, 2017