October 22, 2018
![]() |
| Cody's Baptism |
Monday night was Codys baptism! The Elders in our ward were teaching him but I loved being able to watch his progression as well. He comes to church each week super excited to be there. He is such an example to me of being truly converted to the Gospel. I remember a few weeks ago when He walked into the church and the Elders said hi to him and Cody says hi and walks right past them. Hahaha its the best feeling as a missionary when someone your teaching doesnt need you at church because the members have fellowshiped them into the ward. Truly one of the best feelings!
That night Sister Davis and I had a miracle moment. Before we went out tracting I felt impressed to write inside the front cover of the Book of Mormon I had. It came so clearly to me what to write "His arm is stretched out still, He needs you!"
So we began knocking on doors it was pretty late and this man answers. He calls to his mother in the back room and she comes out to talk to us. The first thing out of her mouth was "twice in 2 days!" I thought to myself "no the Elders must have been here yesterday." (We have seemed to knock alot of the same streets recently but that wasnt the case here.) Come to find out Sister Pettijohn was given the name Amie to go find out who she was. The Church had no information on her even though she was a member. The day before Sister Pettijohn and her husband met Amie and had a very good talk. But the next day we found her when she was at her sons house. It was crazy! She has been going through alot right now. I asked her if she had a Book of Mormon with her and she said no. So I pulled it out and after denying it and saying she really wouldn't read it, she all of a sudden said "sure why not. At least you will know I will cherish it." I was in awe as the spirit urged her to take the Book. Amie felt like her parents who had passed away were reaching out to her by sending people from the church to her at this time. I dont know if she ever opened that Book of Mormon but I pray one day soon she will. I hope that if any of you get a Brother or Sister to minister to and if you have no information about them, go anyways and find out who they are. I know it can be scary. After talking with Sister Pettijohn she was hesitant to go for weeks but when she felt the spirit urge her to go she acted immediately. It was neat to see her face light up as we told her what had happened.
![]() |
| Chris and Kayla Baby (baby Winter) |
Chris and Kayla had their baby this week! Its the cutest little girl! We went and visited her in the hospital she texted us and wanted us to come see the baby. Although we could not hold that cute little thing there is such a spirit babies bring. As we sat in the room and talked about Gods plan it was a great reminder of the beauty of Heaven. As we were walking out, Kaylas nurse came in. It was a lady we had knocked into about 2 weeks ago! It was good to talk to her again and catch up. God always places us where we need to be when we listen.
So this week we went back for a return apt with Jill who we had found last week. Sister Davis and I weren't really sure if she would be there but as we knocked on the door Jill was waiting for us. She had read the restoration pamphlet and even shared it with her Catholic friend. We were able to answer a few of her questions but with the short time we quickly invited her to church and set up another time to come back.
This week there was a Murder and a suicide that happened the same night at the same park in the area. Needless to say it has been a super hard thing for the town. Many of the kids knew this young man who comitted suicide as he was involved in many activities at school. As for me I felt alot of comfort as people who arent even members texted us and made sure we were ok and updated on the news. So many people reached out to us. Its been such a neat opportunity as Missionaries to be able to talk to teachers at the school who are in our ward. One Member told us about the difficulies the kids are having and we were able to refer her to the gospel library where the church has put out Videos talking about suicide. Sister Davis and I had watched all the videos the week before this happened. If you haven't watched them yet please do so! Suicide needs to be talked about. If you need someone to talk to there are people who can help. And if someone is struggling with thoughts of suicide they will let you know but each of us should know what to do in that situation. Everyone needs to know they are loved! I hope you all know that I love you and I mean that sincerely.
We had a lesson with Shannon and Jorge this week where we talked about the atonement of Jesus Chirst. The phrase "He died for us" is very common in Christian culture. But what does that mean to you personally? We were able to help Shannon and Jorge understand the the atonement wasn't only physical death it was spiritual. This idea filled there mind as they have never thought about that before. The next day Shannon texted us and thanked us for that lesson. I pray it gave them a new perspective of Christ.
We also had a lesson with Natalie who is a recent convert. She is struggling with the anti information her Dad is sending her everyday sometimes mulitiple times a day. She asked us what she could say to him. Wow...that would be so hard but we had a great conversation about the difference between contending and trying to prove to one another and defending our beliefs. What is the difference? How do we defend our beliefs without causing contention? One word...."Testimony!" Thats how! We share our testimonies.
On Sunday we had a nice surprise as Jill showed up to church and brought her boyfriend! She was excited to hear about all the different sevice projects the church is involved in. We also had dinner with Sister Peck where I was able to talk to her about my studies on Desire and how to increase desire. Ive come to relize that a desire can increase as our vision of who we can become increases. Desire to me is a self mastry of the mind. But one of my favorite quotes from this week is from Dallin H Oaks, He says "Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming." What are your desires?
I love you all so much! I pray for you each day. Keep expanding your vision and reaching out to others!
Love
Sister Leavitt
Ps Transfer News! Haha almost forgot! I am staying here in Coos Bay for the next 6 weeks and getting a new Companion Sister Denison. Sister Davis will be going to Medford to be with one of my past companions Sister McArthur!
![]() |
Elder Baker, Elder Law, me-Sister Leavitt, and Sister Davis
|
![]() |
The seal we found on the beach
|
![]() |
District council on the beach
|
Haha thanks mom! I hopefully will get the pictures back from today. Golfing is so much fun! Brother and Sister Gordon took us to the free course and taught us how to golf then we went and got hot chocolate and ate lunch at the restaurant. Then they bought me a hat for a souvenir. The Gordons are actually passing through Saint George in June so they plan on visiting us just so you know :)
Response Letter to Sister Kiera from Makayla:
You asked what are the blessings for our family as you have served a mission? Well, we haven't had any big thunderous or miraculous events that I have recognized in fact there have been some big struggles and events our family has had to over come since you have been on your mission. Like Lexie tearing her hip flexer the same week you went into the MTC. The recover of the muscles was as great if not greater as the emotional recovery. The death of Lainee's basketball coach has taken a long emotional toll on Lainee. The challenges of relationships for Chase and learning to be independent in his parents house. Our financial situation has not improved in fact it is probably worse than before-ugh. Some accusations against Greg at work have taken a toll on him. And so much responsibility & stress has been dumped on me at work that it is smothering. So with all these big issues in our family life- what has been our blessings? Well, the fact that when we have prayers together we have a united purpose for the missionaries. We have a united person (you) that we all love so dearly that we pray the very best of works and safety for you. This has increased our testimonies of missionary work and God's eternal plan. Our family is more cordial with each other and closer in the gospel.WE realize how much we love each other -even when Elder Chase was gone as well as our Sister Kiera- we miss our siblings. We have had an extra muffin that we fight over! (Is this a blessing?) Lexie & Lainee have had their own room to not clean and not be able to blame on each other whose mess it is! (+/- on the blessings again!) Each time a child has gone a mission our family has gone through a sorts of depression of missing them until we have navigated the waters forward to function in daily life knowing our loving God has them in his caring hands!!! We have learned about new areas of the country and have gained a new love for a part of the country that used to only be a dot on the map to us before! We have see the caring of other members of the church as they have cared for you and we have had the opportunity to connect with them via email or Facebook! What wonderful people they are! They inspire us to strive to be better Christians! WE have seen the generosity of ward members and family that have given donations to support the mission fund! We have learned to be grateful for this graciousness! So all in all- Our small blessings of having a missionary serve have been heaped into a gigantic pile and it is full of sunshine and wonderfulness!
From Sister Kiera to Makayla;
Hey Mom thanks for the updates on the week. But thank you for answering my question. You know, I've realized that the obligations we have aren't always easy and sometimes not fun at all. But we made a convent with God and so sometimes we do things just because we said we would do it. Me, serving a mission doesn't mean that my family is going to have rainbows and butterflies in life when I'm gone. If you did I would be really worried. But a blessing to me is that the family is united in prayers. I'm so glad to hear you are doing family prayers together. Another blessing is that while I have been out on my mission learning to use the atonement in my life so has my family. God is allowing us all to countiue to grow by helping us all learn how to access the atonement through difficult times. Isn't that a blessing!
Ps our interviews are on Monday so next week I will probably be around on Tuesday.
I've thought alot about your conversion question. Maybe when I get home I can explain it better. What I didnt relize until this week is that my decision to come on a mission was made long before I ever thought. My conversion started long before I ever thought as well.
How is Lainee doing? What can I do to help her? That's so neat to hear she Is loving the piano!
This week sounds like it was lots of fun. I'm glad you were able to get the things done you wanted and that dad and chase could go hunting. Sounds like you are all working super hard. I love you guys so much and I can't believe I only have 6 weeks left. I never thought this time would come. As I filled out the activities for this month I realized this time is going to go so fast. I pray i can learn and fulfil the things I need to before I come home.
Thanks for the cute pictures they really brightened my day. Super cute! Yes cassie is keeping me updated well it's been fun to see. Thanks for everything you do for me. I'm so greatful for you mom.
Oh also this week my permanent retainer broke. Not sure if you would be able to set up a time for me to get it looked at. :( I'd rather wait until I get home to fix it.
Today I'm excited to be able to go to the Bandon dunes. Some members in the ward are taking us. It one of the top golf courses in the united states and it's near the ocean. I'll take pictures so you can see it.
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I love you alot and thank you for the sacrifices you have made for me.
Love
Sister Leavitt
from Makayla to Kiera;
Hello my friendly missionaries!
I am doing a primary lesson this coming Sunday! In the church primary manual is says to ask missionaries come to primary and talk to the kids. However, our missionaries are otherwise occupied. So you are my visiting help- from far away!!! I realize you are super busy but I would ask of you to answer this question quick and send it back to me that I may use it this coming Sunday;
How did you teach and serve when you were a young kid?
Thank you! thank you! thank you!
Love and prayers of spreading God's great word among the world!
from your sister in the gospel from Santa Clara 1st Ward,
Makayla Leavitt
From Kiera to Makayla:
There was a time that I remember when my friend was moving so I wrote my testimony inside a Book of Mormon and I gave it to her.
Or doing service projects as a family to help someone out.
Or the times when you would get invited to go somewhere on a Sunday like a birthday party and I had the chance to tell my friends why I don't do things like that on Sundays.





Comments
Post a Comment